Net neutrality simply revolves around the principle that internet service providers treat all data on the Internet equally, and not discriminate or charge differently by user, content, website, platform, application, type of attached equipment, or method of communication.
under these principles, internet service providers are unable to intentionally block, slow down or charge money for specific websites and online content.
This does not services exist on the end user side, and filtering can be done on a local basis. Net neutralityblock all abilities that Internet service providers have to impact their customer’s services, those regulations exist only to protect against misuse.
What are the benefits of net neutrality?
- It promotes innovation.
- It ensures a level playing field which in turn regulates prices for consumers.
- It is a highly important element of internet democracy.
- It prohibits internet providers from censoring content which means unlimited access to information.
- It promotes creative expression.
- It curbs corporate greed.
Effect of the absence of Net Neutrality
If removed, the following will be the potential cost of not having a neutral internet system and the regular internet user experience will change. Some of these changes are:
- Frequent price hikes.
- Stricter data caps and Hidden Fees
- Internet Service Providers would have the ability to limit opinions and relevant information.
- Startups trying to provide new online services may find themselves at a disadvantage.
- Absence of net neutrality will have a daunting effect marginalized voices.
- Young people who utilize the internet in starting movements that encourage the growth of their dreams may find their progress become restricted.
In conclusion, there is a lot to lose in the absence of Net Neutrality. We are in an era where technology and innovation is the drive behind global growth and develop. If access to information & knowledge – which is 100% what the internet revolves around – is somewhat restricted, it could set us on slippery-slope towards various unfair practices.